It’s been a little while but here’s another helping of Sewing Saturday.
At this point, about nine months ago, I had sewing with zips and typical fabrics – cotton, linen, etc. – under my belt and had started a dress and finished two pairs of shorts. But wanted to change direction slightly: try a pattern from a designer I’d not yet tried, make a top, and try a material I’d not yet sewn with. Cue a chiffon Belcarra blouse from Sewaholic.
Sewaholic — Belcarra | CAD $11.98 PDF Pattern
Navy woodland chiffon purchased on a trip to London’s Goldhawk Road. ~£3 per metre.
Sizing and cutting
- Size: 8, View A.
- Adjustment(s): None.
- Fabric: The design is directional so I made sure to cut it straight and the right way up, and also made some effort to pattern-match but the fabric was so slippery, I gave up on that. It looks like it slopes in places but that’s part of the design. The fabric is lovely and soft! It is very sheer so I have to wear a vest top underneath but I don’t think it takes away from it.
The pattern instructions were very good and easy to follow. I got a tiny bit confused about the sleeves but got there in the end. I might have butchered the underarm area slightly, and in the photo it looks a little loose but I think it’s OK.
Fitting and alterations
- Seams: French seams throughout.
- Hem: Topstitched.
I really enjoyed making this, the instructions were very good and overall, straightforward. It was my first experience of PDF patterns and was definitely happy to continue. Making the neck binding was straightforward, albeit a little fiddly with this fabric. For the future, I may consider adding a little length if I were wanting to wear it untucked as in the last picture. For a different, stiffer material, I would possibly consider bringing it in at the waist but for this material, and again the tucked-in style, the loose shape around the waist works well.
You know, I’m actually not sure what to sew next. The 10-week spring dressmaking course starts on Tuesday and I think I might just take along the By Hand London Victoria Blazer I’d sewn in herringbone wool. I’d not made a toile and so the decision to sew a size 10 was a mistake: it’s massive and looks like I don’t know how to take my own measurements! The fit is supposed to be a boyfriend style but it’s not something I would wear like that, so I need some alteration and fitting advice from my teacher. Oh, and to give it a good press with a decent iron as the one I have is not cutting the mustard.
Now that I’ve blogged Belcarra, I quite want to make another one!
Disclaimer: This is not a sponsored post. I purchased all items mentioned myself. All views expressed are my own.